Meet the latest team member to join the Sustainable Care programme, Dr James Wright.

I work between anthropology and science and technology studies to analyse the development and implementation of emergent technologies for social care of older adults. My PhD project, completed in 2018 at the Hong Kong Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Hong Kong, was an ethnographic examination of the Japanese government’s attempts to develop care robots and introduce them into institutional care facilities across Japan. I’m currently the 2019 CEAFJP/Michelin Fellow at the Fondation France-Japon de l’EHESS in Paris, where my research focuses more broadly on public innovation policy in Japan and France, using care robots as a key case study. My wider interests include robotics, AI and algorithms, and the intersection between public innovation policy and other areas of policy, particularly labour and immigration.

James Wright

At CIRCLE, I focus on the potential of technology to facilitate sustainable care, including the lessons that can be drawn from the experiences of other countries. I’m excited about joining the fantastic team in Sheffield, and utilising what I’ve learned to consider solutions and support policy in the UK.

Dr James Wright

James is a Research Associate on the Sustainable Care programme, click the link below to learn more about his work.

Achieving sustainability in care systems

The potential of technology